About Jeremiah Program
Jeremiah Program (JP) is a nonprofit organization helping single mothers invest in themselves so they can thrive and take steps towards economic mobility by helping them access higher education, affordable childcare, housing, skills training and career development. JP envisions a world where poverty is no longer feminized; where race is not divorced from gender; where career and financial opportunities are not gentrified; and where women who experience poverty not only hold a seat at the table but hold the mic and curate the agenda.
Jeremiah Program offers one of the nation’s most successful strategies for disrupting poverty, two generations at a time. At JP, we believe that no mother should have to make the untenable choice between investing in herself or supporting her children. Our holistic approach invites single mothers into the leadership tent and encourages families to bring all of their identities to bear in achieving their goals in pursuit of economic mobility.
Founded in 1993, this year JP is supporting over 1,000 moms and kids across nine residential and non-residential campuses: Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Brooklyn, Fargo, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, St. Paul, and Rochester. JP Currently has an operating budget of 18.2M with 157 budgeted FTE for FY 2022. Learn more about JP and our work here.
Jeremiah Program’s Payroll and Benefits Manager reports to the Director of Finance and is responsible for planning, implementing, and administering payroll and benefit programs. The primary function of the position is to manage all aspects of the employee payroll & benefits program. This includes payroll oversight, and administrative execution of health and wellness benefits programs in collaboration with the HR team. This person is also responsible for employee compliance administration and functional reporting.
A member of the Campus Support Team (CST), this full-time, exempt position is fully remote within the United States (preference will be given to applicants in cities where we operate) with requisite travel as needed.
- Plan, direct and supervise all activities relating to the administration and maintenance of payroll and employee benefits programs.
- Ensure accurate and proper payment of wages and salaries by overseeing the preparation of payrolls to make sure that JP’s payroll system is correctly processing:
- Salaries and reported hours worked
- Paid leave
- Holiday pay
- Accrued compensatory time
- Computing overtime if appropriate.
- Support all compensation planning processes in collaboration with HR and Finance.
- Effectively utilize the data processing system to obtain, store and analyze pertinent data and information.
- Administer benefits programs, including conducting analyses and collaborate tightly with HR on communicating with providers (including group health and life), workers’ compensation and retirement (403(b)) plans.
- Develop internal operating procedures and controls for the administering and managing benefits & payroll. Maintain SOP and vendor procedural documents.
- Effectively plan and direct the implementation and administration of all benefit plans including annual open enrollment.
- Responsible for all ACA reporting and keeps abreast of regulatory changes affecting benefit plans and ensures company benefit plans and practices are in compliance with external regulatory requirements.
- Prepare an annual budget for total rewards and manage expenditures related to benefit programs.
- Supports the development and integration of new and/or existing rewards programs, policies, and procedures to ensure that programs are market competitive, internally equitable, and cost effective.
- Develops appropriate communication and educational programs using various media to keep JP staff informed and updated on our organization benefit programs. Cultivates and relies upon a close working relationship with the JP Marketing & Storytelling department.
- Responsible for HR analytics, reporting development and automation, and ad hoc reporting.
- Tracks, measures, and reports people compliance: I9, legal administration and accounting, workers compensation/safety
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Accounting Functions
- Invoice reconciliation
- Manage general ledger set up in HRIS
- Posting payroll journal entries in accounting software
- Accrual (PTO) Management
Who You Are
- Mission Alignment. You possess a deep commitment to and understanding of current housing, education, early childhood, and all social justice issues intersecting with poverty. You have enthusiasm, familiarity and demonstrated alignment with JP’s mission and campaigns and a commitment to building/ deepening your commitment to racial justice. You are steadfast in your support of JP’s long-term sustainability and are committed to a career with impact
- An Organizational Maven: You can manage across multiple work streams and functions, keeping deadlines and managing complexity by simplifying solutions, systems, and processes with clarity and attention to detail. You have an ability to efficiently meet deadlines.
- A Self Starter: You have the ability to initiate, organize and manage projects, and to interface successfully with colleagues in a collaborative approach.
- Persistent and Optimistic. You are intrinsically motivated and undaunted by ambitious goals. You have the creativity and tenacity to find your way around a “no” answer to a more productive “not right now,” “maybe,” or best yet, “yes.” You embrace and drive change.
- Exceptional in Communicating Verbally and in Writing. There is demonstrated ability to inspire commitment and write and edit persuasive materials to support programmatic outcomes. Amplify the message of Jeremiah Program externally with the goal of generating new resources.
- Adaptable and Flexible. You can handle any curveball, and in fact, you expect them. You can meet deadlines and manage competing priorities. Additionally, you are strategic and have the ability to pivot quickly as priorities shift and the team continues to take shape. You can and are willing to travel if needed.
- Available to Travel. You are open to traveling every other month or six trips a year
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or a related field required.
- 3+ years payroll and benefits management experience preferred.
- Advanced excel skills (v-lookup) a plus.
- Applied knowledge of carrier/file feeds highly preferred.
- Understand the Regulatory and Legislative imperatives and impacts related to Total Rewards programs including payroll and DOL regulations (FLSA, Sec 125, ERISA, 409A, HIPAA, etc.).
- Experienced with vendor relations and multi-state employers preferred.
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to work through processes, identify and implement process improvements and resolve complex matters.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong organizational/prioritization skills with an ability to multi-task to manage multiple projects while maintaining a close attention to detail.
- Self-starter with the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Possess proven operational, interpersonal, project management, vendor management and leadership skills.
Salary & Benefits:
Salaries for people entering this role typically fall between $75,000 and $85,000, commensurate with relevant experience and qualifications and in alignment with internal equity. Additionally, we offer medical, dental, vision, and supplemental benefits as well as retirement plans and a generous vacation package.