Jeremiah Program is partnering with Community Solutions, SCO Family Services & the Medgar Evers College to explore bringing its two-generation approach to Brownsville, NY, a neighborhood in Brooklyn. Shivonne C. McKay has joined the effort as Community Outreach Consultant.
“We are impressed with the commitment of leaders in the Brownsville area to move more families from poverty to prosperity,” said Gloria Perez, President & CEO of Jeremiah. “We are eager to explore with Shivonne and our partners pathways for motivated single mothers in Brownsville to complete a college education and ensure their children are ready for success in school.”
Community leaders note that Jeremiah could meet a significant need in Brownsville:
- 47% of family households are led by a single female.
- 36% of residents live below the federal poverty line and 44% of working age Brownsville residents are out of the workforce.
- Only 18% of residents are college graduates, and 28% did not graduate even from high school.
- The incarceration rate in Brownsville is the second-highest in New York City.
- Brownsville has the highest concentration of public housing in the U.S.
Ms. McKay has worked with many organizations to employ tools and strategies that lead to powerful and sustainable community transformation. Her work has involved advocacy for at-risk-youth and children receiving access to quality education, and empowering women and girls as leaders. She was a contributor in the national public education campaign “Stand With Black Women and Girls,” a former adjunct Professor at St. Francis College, and author of “Becoming a Woman Like Ruth.”
She earned her bachelor degree in psychology from Pennsylvania State University, her MBA from American Intercontinental University, master of education administration from Adelphi University, and a master of divinity degree from Princeton Theological Seminary.
For more information:
Shivonne C. McKay
Jeremiah Program Brownsville
Gregory Jackson Center for Brownsville, 4th Floor
519 Rockaway Ave
Brooklyn NY 11212